8.18.2011

the script

“I thought you were gone through the summer.”  
“No, I thought so, too,but this crazy thing happened. I mean, I was camping on this beautiful beach in Crete with all these really cool people, and there was this guy that I liked, Paco, brooding and sexy, monosyllabic and totally my type. One night I'm dancing with Paco, and he kisses me. An incredible,deep kiss.”  
“Spare me the details.”


“And what do I do?”


“I don't know. What'd you do?”


“I start crying. I mean, tears are rolling down my cheeks...”


“Of course you start crying.”


“...which he doesn't notice 'cause, of course, his hands are all over my body, which felt nice, which made me feel even more upset, ‘cause in a flash I saw our entire relationship, from present to future tense.”


“I mean, the incredibly hot start, with Paco basking in my love and admiration...”


“What are we doing here?”


“I just got to pick something up.  Just take a second.”


“And then the inevitable moment, and I don't know why it...



I don't know why it happens, but it always does, when all that love and admiration would start to irritate him and he'd find some way to hurt me.  I mean, sure, after, he'd be sorry.”


“So...?”


“I decided to unlock his beautiful lips from mine, remove his hand from my ass,and I walked away.”


“Good move.”


“I walked away, Will! From Paco!”


“Good move.”


“No one walks away from Paco!”


“I like the story.”


“And it felt life-changing.  And I realized I had to tell someone.  When I realized who that person was, it was so unexpected.”


“..It's like when something is staring you in the face… and it's like you're too blind to see it... What's that?”


“I have some news for you, too.”


(April walks out from the jewelry store)


“Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Why are you so upset?”


“Don't you think it's a little weird we've been writing each other for however long and somehow you neglect to tell me that, A, you've fallen in love,and, B, you've fallen in love!”



“I told you I was dating someone.”


“Dating someone.  You just bought a diamond engagement ring for someone!”


“I'm sorry. I think I was just nervous to tell you.”


“Why would you be nervous to tell me?”


“I don't know.”


“I love this girl so much.  I'd just really like you to be happy for me.”


“I can be happy for you.  Of course I can be happy for you.”

---

(back to Will Hayes talking to her daughter)


“Poor April.  She's like the character in the story who's always been the friend. Then she realized she doesn't just want to be the friend.  She wants to be the girlfriend,except it's too late.”


“What do you mean?”


“Weren't you listening?  She came home for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment